It’s a daunting task for all homeowners: finding the right roofing contractor to get the job done correctly, the first time. With so many contractors to choose from, most homeowners don’t know how to find the right one. Knowing what questions to ask will help you narrow down your search. Here’s a few to help you in your process.
7 Questions to Ask Your Roofing Contractor
- Are you licensed? – This is probably the most important question you can ask, due in part by how many things could go wrong with an unlicensed roofer. Make sure the license is current.
- What is your safety record? – Safety first. This is a no-brainer, but the last thing you want is a contractor who doesn’t have safety measures in place and actually follows them.
- Do you carry adequate liability insurance? – If a roofer burned down your house while welding something and WASN’T insured, you as the homeowner could be responsible for all costs incurred.
- Do you focus on speed or quality? – Of course, the answer you’d like to hear is both but, unfortunately, it’s usually one or the other. You definitely want your roof completed in a timely manner, but more importantly is the quality in which it’s done.
- Will you remove my old roof? – The whole idea is to replace your roof, not just cover up the old one. Some roofers will inspect the old shingles and if they look okay, they’ll just shingle over it. This is a no-no. The old shingles could have rotten wood underneath them causing you unnecessary problems and further costs down the road.
- What materials/roofing system do you specialize in? – Every roof is different and will require their own set of materials. A lot of contractors are GAF certified, so be sure to ask your contractor if they use GAF roofing materials.
- Do you have a customer reference list? – A contractor who has a “happy list” is more than likely to make you happy as well. This shows the credibility and the workmanship of the roofer and will help you feel a little less stressed. Word of mouth goes a long way!
Be Confident in Your Search
Patience is a virtue, especially when choosing the right roofing contractor. You can rest easy and stress less by downloading our “Homeowners Brochure” for more helpful tips! Go into your projects with confidence that you have the ability to find a qualified contractor worthy of the job!
Building the best,